Pregnancy Doesn’t Have to be a Pain in the Back
Up to 69 per cent of pregnant women suffer low back pain, but as little as 32 per cent actually report it to their health practitioners. That means far too many pregnant women are taking a grin and bear it approach and living with unnecessary pain.
The reasons for back pain during pregnancy vary from person to person, but the majority of back pain concerns can be accounted for by one of the following reasons:
- an increase in hormones
- a change of the body’s center of gravity
- Pregnant posture – increased curve in the low back
- gaining additional weight
- a decline in posture
- added stress
Recent studies have shown that chiropractic adjustments result in easier pregnancies, decreased labour time and assist new mothers back to pre-partum health.
Chiropractic care helps during pregnancy by:
- Correcting abnormal joint mechanics that lead to joint and nerve stress – this reduces pain and improves function
- Maintaining joint function and spinal balance so spine may adapt to changes in weight distribution and posture
- Providing freedom from nerve interference to allow for development of a healthy baby and mother
- Ensuring joints of low back and pelvis are moving freely to assist in the birth process. Proper joint movement assists in pelvic opening
- Educating on correct posture, lifting techniques and other lifestyle factors to reduce spinal stress
- Recommending exercises to assist spinal health
Chiropractors who work with pregnant women will adapt their chiropractic tables to maximise the women’s comfort during treatment and they will use techniques that avoid unneeded pressure on the abdomen. They can also recommend safe exercises and stretches to complement any adjustments made to the spine.
At Spinal and Sports Care we have special pregnancy modifications which help us to adapt to your growing body but at the same time, ensuring you are comfortable during your treatment whilst providing quality care