Conditions We Treat
Pregnancy Related Problems
Physical therapy during pregnancy can prove to be useful for remedying common discomforts like back pain or for enhancing your body’s ability to have an easier and smoother pregnancy and birth.
Pregnant women may suffer from a variety of complaints during pregnancy. These may include back or pelvic pain among others.
The Chiropractors and Physiotherapists at Spinal and Sports Care can help to decrease these symptoms and prepare for childbirth by combining exercises and postural changes into daily activities. This will help strengthen pelvic floor and core muscles which can reduce your pain, assist in labor and delivery as well as recovery postpartum.
The number of pregnant women who experience back pain varies from 50 to 70 percent and the reasons for back pain vary from person to person, but the majority of back pain concerns can be accounted for by one of the following reasons:
- an increase in hormones
- a change of the body’s center of gravity
- gaining additional weight
- a decline in posture
- added stress
Common Symptoms whilst Pregnant
Pregnancy is one medical condition that can produce any number of unrelated symptoms and complaints. Common issues that our Chiropractors and Physiotherapists at Spinal and Sports Care address that arise during pregnancy are:
- joint pain,
- nausea, headaches,
- nerve pain (conditions such as Meralgia Paraesthetica),
- leg cramps,
- carpel tunnel syndrome
- osteitis pubis
Treatment helps during pregnancy by:
- Correcting abnormal joint mechanics that lead to joint and nerve stress – this reduces pain and improves function
- Maintaining joint function and spinal balance so spine may adapt to changes in weight distribution and posture
- Ensuring joints of low back and pelvis are moving freely to assist in the birth process. Proper joint movement assists in pelvic opening
- Educating on correct posture, lifting techniques and other lifestyle factors to reduce spinal stress
- Recommending exercises to assist and strengthen the spine
During pregnancy, our practitioners use special modified techniques to make treatment as easy and comfortable for our expectant mothers. In addition, at Spinal and Sports Care we have special pregnancy modifications which help us to adapt to your growing body but at the same time, ensuring you are comfortable during your treatment whilst providing quality care.
Phone (02) 9683 1110