Vitamin D3 for Strong Bones
Did you know that Vitamin D3 helps calcium absorption?
Vitamin D plays an essential role in bone health by:
- improving the absorption of bone building calcium from the intestine
- supporting growth and maintenance of the skeleton
- regulating levels of calcium in the blood
Low levels of Vitamin D3 will reduce calcium absorption to 10-15% of dietary intake where an optimal level of D3 will increase calcium absorption up to 40%.
According to references, the optimal levels of Vit D3 are between 50 nmol/L to 150nmol/L (https://www.nrv.gov.au/nutrients/vitamin%20d.htm)
Vitamin D deficiency is common in Australia with over 30% of adults having a mild, moderate or even severe deficiency. Low vitamin D levels can:
- lead to bone and joint pain
- increase the risk of falls and bone fracture in older people
- result in rickets in children (when very serious)
- impact on unborn children in mothers with vitamin D deficiency
Vitamin D status is generally maintained in the population by exposure to sunlight (Glerup et al 2000, Holick 1996, Rasmussen et al 2000). If sunlight exposure is inadequate due to minimal exposure, sunscreen or seasonal patterns, supplementing with Vit D3 is easy and effective as it comes in liquid drops, oral spray or capsule form.
DID YOU KNOW?????
Vitamin D3 is not just for healthy bones and teeth but also…..
- Supports and maintains bone mineral density and helps reduce the risk of fracture and osteoporosis.
- Supports the health and function of the immune system.
- Supports the nervous system and neuromuscular function.
- Plays a role in the maintenance of healthy blood sugar levels.
- Important during pregnancy to support the growing baby.
- Has been shown to help regulate the immune system.
Should you have any concerns based on your general level of sun exposure, medical history or other medical risk factors, that may impact on your levels of Vitamin D, contact our office and arrange an assessment with our experienced Naturopath.
About the Author:
Mattia Sarpa is an extremely qualified and well educated Complementary Medicine Practitioner. She is qualified as a Naturopath, Medical Herbalist, Homoeopath, Nutritionist and Nutritional Counsellor and Iridologist.